Sunday, July 5, 2009

Skating Skywards

A quick apology for the not-so-deliberate post with no content, it was a confused, restless mind, pressing wrong buttons, closing windows hurriedly, trying to not let the battery die down to eternity.

Moving on, Skating is one of my newfound obsessions, in addition to avid newspaper reading, biking, hobbying through Dragon Rider and the like.

It was on Saturday afternoon that the family geared to the Sports Store to buy skates for me. Mentally ready for roller blades, skates seemed commonplace, on the other hand, the skateboard seemed risky and inappropriate. Repeated insistence that skates are better for beginners made me settle for them. An inconsistent shuffle, I almost felt like BFG trodding down the granite of the sports store as the saleswoman rushed to not let me venture into my asphalted dreams. My first trial. That was the first time doubt crossed my mind.

"Conscience : Should you really buy it? What if you never skate? What if you don't use it well?

Me : Bah! Shut up.

Conscience : But, sho...

Me : Shh (irritated-ly)"

My cousin came to my rescue when he urged my parents into buying the relevant protective gear, threatening us with "just-wait-till-you-fall-with-skates-on-and-you'd-never-touch-them-again" rants. We eventually marched out with a lofty bag containing:

$ A pair of red roller skates
$ A metallic blue head guard (like cyclists wear!)
$ Wrist, elbow and knee guard.

It's not everyday that you buy quite the necessary equipment for hobbying a sport. It took me more than a moment to gauge what lay ahead of me.

Happy but apprehensive and determined.

How's my first legs-on-wheels experience going to go?

Little did I know, that 2 weeks hence I'd stumble upwards everyday as I time myself to do lengths, breadths and diagonals in the shortest time with latent skill.

More coming...

7 comments:

  1. Was this post deliberate or did your connection die? I experience the same thing with a reliance CDMA 1X, the connection dies every 4 mins23sec.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH my!
    Is it a measured, weighted statistic that you offer here?

    Or is it an anagram of relevant numbers?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That number is due to something called experience,...and irritation with reliance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The connection speed that the card offers is 230.4 Kbps, and you said 4 mins 23 secs. So, it was just a coincidence! Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is nothing like the first fall. When your feet slip forward and you fling your arms out, even as you hover in mid-air for one breathtaking moment, before settling down on your bum, thats when you say to others, "Yup, I've skated."
    The pleasures of such a fall obliged me way back when i was still in junior school and i tried to fit into my sister's skates, with thick rubber wheels, two in the front, and two at the back; a pair of roller blades, and with them the most exhilerating moments of my life, were to come a few years later.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to think you had bought blades. Your post indicates the contrary. Is that really so? (wags the index finger) you should have gone for blades, maniac.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I distinctly remember telling you that I bought skates, but it probably registered as blades. I am anyway getting a pair from you right? So, that's fine!

    I have had near-falls but I always come off with an extra edge of balance.

    ReplyDelete